Thursday, June 10, 2010

Yesterday's outing...

Yesterday, I set out in a different direction from where I had gone before (Millstone Bluff). This time I happened upon Wickliffe Mounds (you can find online). There was surprising (to me, anyway) artistic rendering of some of the Mississippian imagery there and a self-guided walk through buildings that were built over top of the partially excavated mounds. I had mixed feelings about how this was done, but was happy for the opportunity to visit and see the artifacs and the site. Then I headed toward the bridge across the Ohio and then the Mississippi. But I turned off onto an unmarked road just before the bridge. It ended up being a long road through a WMA wetland area around the river's overflow area. More Indigo Buntings (beautiful against the orange rock in the roads) and open fields and mud and water. It was so hot and muggy and slow, but it felt just right to me to wander there. The first thing I saw was a couple of turtles who had emerged from the river and were seeking sun and green food (I guessed). This one below had a strange little hitchhiker on his/her back - anyone know what this is?


I am intrigued by what looks like a doorway to the light on the water in this one...

In this one, there is a light falling on the area at the top far left in the image that interests me, in combination with the trees and shadow on the far right, opposite the light...


1 comment:

Brooks said...

Feel like I have been on an adventure to an unknown land.
Thanks

Popular Posts

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon