Friday, June 11, 2010

Good to see an old friend...

I went up to Ferne Clyffe Park today, in southern Illinois. I had happened upon this place one time on my way to St. Louis from Atlanta when I was in college. It was such a gift to find it. And today I found a new trail there that also had gifts. It was probably the only time I have ever taken rain gear with me on a hike and I was glad. About a half mile in there was a fierce downpour, so I pulled out my poncho and made sure my camera was under there with me and walked on, slushing in my river shoes (good choice). Luckily, after a while I found a wonderful rock overhang under which to sit (or stand) out the rest of the shower. After the rain let up and the sun peeked out, the most wonderful thing happened on the other side of this great big rock wall...
This place is so incredibly beautiful it can bring one to tears. I have been going up and down the Trail of Tears a lot lately (and yes, it came through this place, too, I now know). I have been shedding tears of joy, though, in these places of great spirit and beauty. Each place seems to be chock full of Jack in the Pulpit and Paw Paws, among other beauties...

It doesn't look that big in this photo, but it was under this rock that I was standing...










That beautiful color is not a play of light, but color in the stone...

2 comments:

Adam Stoltman said...

WOW.

thanks. special indeed. and good about the poncho and rain shoes.

Brooks said...

Beautiful photographs and your words make me feel I am walking just behind you but seeing everything through your eyes.

Popular Posts

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon